bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I tell the story of a societal change using a discrete number of narrators? When I started writing and first tried to characterize my work, I came across a wonderful word: psychogram - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

There are a few approaches that you could use in this situation.

The first is to plot out the most significant events of the unfolding drama and identify as few key players as possible who between them witness the sequence of events. You might then present a semi-fictionalised account of what they saw. If using the historical figures of the culture does not work for you then perhaps place fictional characters in the key moments and tell their story. This would allow you to tell a number of intertwined character stories and show the growth and change in each one in the context of the social change.

You might also consider having had these characters having known each other before the events you wish to show or meeting up after to reminisce. In fact the reminiscing might be the very vehicle for telling the story.

The reminiscing approach gives you two approaches.

Option 1a: Cover the events in order from each perspective switching view point as need. This is, I imagine, is close to the approach you are considering currently.

Option 1b: Tell each character's experience of the process and the events they witnessed. The same moments might look very different to different people (real or imagined). Effectively playing to what you consider you strengths with slightly shorter story arcs.

An complete alternative (Option 2) could be to have a single character (almost definitely fictional), perhaps a relative late comer to the sub culture. This audience surrogate would more than likely experience a deep emotional response to the sub-culture and while having no direct influence on the events that unfold still must react and change as the sub-culture goes through its last days or weeks (or months).

You could still bring in third party perspective with conversations with direct participants wherein said person is simply trying to get to grips with what is happening. In this form you are again playing to your single character point of view strengths but the backdrop is also the story you are wanting to tell (or better yet show).

TL;DR: Whichever approach you use there is no doubt that you are pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone (no bad thing) but it does not hurt to continue to play to established strengths at the same time.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sent2472441

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best