bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to choose a good/suitable pseudonym I write fantasy humour (fantahumour, if you will) stories but I have recently written a rather different story in the form of a horror. Naturally, I want - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I write fantasy humour (fantahumour, if you will) stories but I have recently written a rather different story in the form of a horror.

Naturally, I want to associate myself with both genres, but albeit indirectly in that I do not want my readers to be disappointed when they see that I have strayed from the fantahumour genre.

Are there any guidelines or useful resources/tips/techniques that you use which help choose a suitable pseudonym?

As my new story is a horror, I would like something that has a presence, a name that people will look at and think, "Wow, that's the dude who writes those awesomely-scary horror stories!".

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kimberly114

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

As Lauren Ipsum says, you'd have to build a reputation on the quality of your books, not the cleverness of a pseudonym. I suppose a well-chosen pseudonym could do SOMETHING toward a reputation. If I saw a horror story written by "Melody Sunshine" would I be less likely to buy and read it because of the totally non-horror sounding name? I don't know; it might be a small, semi-conscious factor. As What says, an over-the-top name might well just make you look silly. If I saw a horror novel by "Demon McDark" I think I'd find that more laughable than compelling. Maybe, possibly, just the right name could give the right connotations. But I think the effort you put in to selecting just the right name would be better spent writing a better novel. Edgar Allen Poe and Stephen King have sold quite a few horror stories without having names that of themselves have any particular association with horror.

Load Full (0)