bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is it OK to omit the following "grammatical rules" in fiction? Okay, I'm not sure if they are "rules" or "grammatical", but here they go: After a while our necks began to ache, so we - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Okay, I'm not sure if they are "rules" or "grammatical", but here they go:

After a while our necks began to ache, so we sat on the rest chairs
behind (us). I liked it here. The air was fresh and there was a low hip
roof to shelter us from the wind.

To give myself something to do, I searched for constellations. I
wasn't an expert (on it); my knowledge was limited to horoscope columns and
astronomy documentaries.

As an author, would you omit the bolded parts? Why or why not?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Smith147

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

These are both prepositional phrases. Number 1 should be included. Number 2 does not have to be. Below I explain why.

A prepositional phrase must consist of a preposition (behind, on, in, under, around, etc.) and an object (i.e. what the object of the sentence is behind, on, in, etc.)

Sentence number 1 omits the prepositional object 'us.' You need that object. If you read the sentence by itself, you'll see why. What are the chairs behind? Us? The house? The sunset? What?

Sentence number 2 omits the whole phrase, not just the object. "On it" certainly adds explanation, but you can get away without it.

Summary: You can omit an entire prepositional phrase. You cannot omit just the object of a prepositional phrase.

That being said, authors can and do take grammatical liberties sometimes. If you feel the sentence would sound better a different way, write it that way.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

These are purely my opinion, but I would say (1) no, I wouldn't omit; and (2) yes, that's fine.

(1) "...we sat on the rest chairs behind."

Behind what? Behind your necks? That's what "behind" is referring to right now, and it doesn't make sense.

(2) "I wasn't an expert."

This sounds natural to me. "Expert" right now is referring to "constellations", which is exactly what you're wanting to refer to.

Load Full (0)