bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I use real presidents (past and present) and real companies in a fictional story? I'm not sure if I want to use real people and companies or make up an entirely different world with different - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

On the question of companies (ex-leaders of countries are open season) it comes down to if you are suggesting that the company itself is bad.

Max Barry has John Nike (who works for Nike) commit a number of acts of terrorism for the benefit of Nike in his book "Jennifer Government". Despite all the bad things (and morally dubious actions) of the employees of the companies mentioned Max never says that these are bad companies and not one organization or company has, to my knowledge, made the least bit of fuss at being acknowledged in his book.

You are only going to be in the danger zone if you cast the company itself as the maker of poor products or as inherently evil. In other words talking about them in such a way that the legal department might be able to ague that you have damaged their reputation.

Leave the company reputation intact and you are (probably) going to be able to name drop freely.

I am not lawyer but this is my experience on the subject.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Connie138

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best