bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to avoid switching between formal and informal in an essay? I recently wrote an essay for a history class and the teaching assistant commented that he found my switch between formal and - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

In general, when you write, you want to pick a single register, appropriate to the audience and your goals, and stick to it. When you do that, your voice recedes appropriately into the background, and the reader can focus on your content. An informal phrase in a formal essay is like showing up to a corporate workplace in Bermuda shorts and a t-shirt. The reverse situation is like going to a neighborhood cookout in a suit and tie. People will get caught up in the inappropriateness of your presentation, and lose track of your message.

As far as avoiding this, it's really just a matter of reading enough formal writing to get used to the conventions. Usually, as @tave mentioned, you avoid first person statements ("I"). You'll also want to avoid second person ("you"), as well as contractions ("can't") and folksy idioms ("happy as a pig in mud!"). These conventions can vary, however --some academic settings actually expect writing to flout such standard conventions.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kristi637

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best