bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Can I use real presidents (past and present) and real companies in a fictional story? I'm not sure if I want to use real people and companies or make up an entirely different world with different - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Live "Presidents" should be "minor characters" (in your fiction), performing a "public" act. For instance, in one screenplay, I featured a film clip of President George H.W. Bush (father) declaring war on Iraq in order to set a "backdrop" for early 1991.

On the other hand, you should not feature a real President e.g. seducing the heroine (and thus playing a major role in your fiction). That goes beyond "public figure" into the "private" realm and may expose you to a charge of libel.

If the President is a major character, you should change the name. "Primary Colors" was about a Presidential candidate who could have been Bill Clinton, so they renamed him "Jack Stanton." They also changed the Presidential election year to 1998, thereby creating a "parallel universe" with a timeline that could not have been real.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jennifer354

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best