bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to write for a certain audience? I'm busy writing a book that I've been putting off for years. In this book the main character starts off as an 18 year old but grows up to be a young - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I'm busy writing a book that I've been putting off for years. In this book the main character starts off as an 18 year old but grows up to be a young adult, sometimes she will think about when she was around 6/7. My audience for this book is young adults, how should I make this book work without making young adults feel like they are reading a book intended for teenagers?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I've found that writing to the age group for anyone that isn't a child (under 6) is extremely limiting. I just don't do it. Instead, i separate the content types for different demographics. For example, I won't use graphic violence, sexuality, or language for a story that is geared towards young (10-17) boys.

The only changes I make to anything for younger audiences outside of plot changes are the way some things are worded and satire. That's not to say I stay away from big words...but sound too educated and some audiences will feel stupid for not understanding.

And satire only works for an audience that'll understand it. Satire is already very difficult; if you have a young audience, I recommend avoiding it altogether, as well as certain types of narrative speech like sarcasm.

Load Full (0)