bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How can I improve my writing's pacing and sophistication? How can I improve my creative writing skills? I have many ideas for short stories but I feel as if my writing is very slow paced - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

First, slow-paced and unsophisticated aren't necessarily bad qualities for a story. You need to value your own writer's voice --otherwise you're likely to end up sounding like a poor imitation of someone else. There are many technically proficient writers whose work is derivative, trendy and forgettable. If the underlying story is strong, having a idiosyncratic personal style becomes a positive rather than a negative --it distinguishes you from the crowd.

With that said:

Pace: If your work is overly slow-paced, it probably just needs to be edited more rigorously. Wait until you're done with all the writing, and then go back through and remove anything that's boring or that doesn't serve the overall narrative.
Sophistication: If you have a specific technique you'd like to pick up, you'll need to practice it until it is enough a part of you that you can deploy it naturally, and as needed (versus sticking it in where it doesn't belong).

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best