bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to properly cite a source in your footnotes? I notice in some of the books I read that the author sometimes leaves explanatory notes that refer the reader to a book but the note is not - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The various citation styles such as MLA and Chicago, often have a footnote style, or a defacto one -- often the same as the bibliography style.

Some citation styles are by normally written as an endnote -- within the bibliography -- Eg IEEE.

It very much depends on the context as to what is appropriate.
In formal academic writing, eg a journal article there will be a definite and concrete answer. Almost certainly you can look it up on the journals website. Similarly for writing a textbook.

If it is in an academic context, for a field that uses LaTeX, you might be interested in the bibLaTeX footcite macro. There is some explanation of it in this TEX.SE question.

In less formal situation, eg an expository nonfiction book, there will likely be guidelines, you should speak to the editor.

In a novel, I would be surprised if there were guidelines, beyond perhaps the normal referring to media works. Its mostly something to be handled in late stage when working though with an Editor/Copy Editor. Just leave enough information to handle it then. Eg Author, Book, Chapter, Edition.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jamie945

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best