bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How Does the Publishing Process Work? This question may seem rather broad based on the title, so allow me to elaborate. I am a self-taught author. I learned how to write, what works and - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

This question may seem rather broad based on the title, so allow me to elaborate.

I am a self-taught author. I learned how to write, what works and what doesn't, all that good stuff. What I did not learn is anything at all about what happens once I've written my book. Publishers, agents, editors, distributors - all these terms are more or less foreign to me. The main thing is the process. I haven't a clue about how a book gets published.

I have a vague idea that you let the publisher look over your work. If he agrees to publish it, you sign a contract allowing him to do so. Who the agent is and where he comes in, I do not know. I also don't know how you get paid for your book (though there was a question about that, so I have a general idea).

I realize that publishing is a complex operation with lots of different methods involved, so all I'm looking for is a simple run-down of how it works, without all the technical terms and long sentences supplied by Wikipedia. A step-by-step process would be great.

Note: Yes, I could likely learn how the publishing process works simply by looking at Wikipedia. My main problem is that because I am new, I don't want to take the risk of being confused by Wikipedia, and then try to publish with a wrong idea of how it works. If I do that, there is always the chance I could make a really bad mistake, like signing away my power over the book or something. If I have a basic understanding of how it works first, then I can read Wikipedia and build off of that.

Thanks in advance!

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @BetL639

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

In a very general sense, the publishing process for new writers works something like this. This is not comprehensive: there are alternate routes, and there are always exceptions!

1. Author writes a novel.

A writer will writer their first novel; this is self-explanatory.

2. Author edits the novel.

This can include self-editing, using beta readers, hiring a freelance editor - some of these or all of these.

3. Author finds an agent.

It's generally easier for a writer to sell a book when they have an agent - someone who will improve the book, hone it to fit the current market, and know how to find a home for it. Agents take a cut of book sales; they are not paid by the author. It is possible to sell a manuscript directly to a publisher, bit it's a lot harder.

One finds an agent by writing a query letter, that sells you as a writer and the book itself.

4. Agent edits the book.

Agents work closely with publishers, and they have a good idea what will sell and what will do well. So they edit their writers' manuscripts to fit their vision. They usually have editors in-house (or a stable of freelancers they trust) who will do this work, working with the author.

5. Book is sold to a publisher.

An agent brokers a deal with a publisher. This is their goal and their reason to exist.

6. Publisher makes the manuscript ready for publication.

Getting a final manuscript in shape can involve proofreading, typesetting, and even further editing over what the agent and the author did.

7. Publisher markets the book.

Social media, print/radio/trade ads, getting cover blurbs, reviews in major publications, placement with major bookselling chains - marketing muscle is the best reason to go with a traditional publisher.

8. Publisher prints and distributes the book.

Making physical/electronic copies, getting them warehouses and sent to the correct places.

Load Full (0)