bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Is there a problem in switching from present to past for a backstory sequence? My understanding was that it's fairly normal for a present-tense novel to switch into past tense in a backstory - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

My understanding was that it's fairly normal for a present-tense novel to switch into past tense in a backstory sequence. But I was having a conversation with a friend and he insists any tense switching is distracting. I'm confused, is this true? What would be the alternative device in switching to a backstory narrative other than switching into a past tense?

And also a follow-up question. I sometimes mix "right-now" scenes with a flashback, in that a scene cuts in the middle, space break, flashback, space break, and back to the scene. Is this too distracting?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kevin153

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

"What would be the alternative device in switching to a backstory narrative other than switching into a past tense?"

An alternative device I have often seen work well is doing the opposite tense switch - that is, having the main narrative in the past tense and the back story in the present tense as a flashback. (In fact I don't see any significant difference between a backstory narrative and a flashback.) I perceive the past tense as the default tense for a story, so when I read a main narrative in the past tense I scarcely think about when the action is happening and concentrate on the action itself. In desirable contrast, when the flashback/backstory switches to the present tense the fact that the characters do not know what the future will bring is brought vividly to life. If the writer knows his or her job, that unknown future depicted in the main story is going to be dramatic. Thus the switch of tense can generate strong emotions of foreboding or pity.

I do not wish to suggest that this is the only "correct" way to handle time-switches, but it is quite common in commercially successful novels, particularly thrillers.

Load Full (0)