bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Do I need a complete collection of essays with which to approach an agent or a sampling? I haven't the foggiest notion of what is being asked of me here. To elaborate on my question, can - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I haven't the foggiest notion of what is being asked of me here. To elaborate on my question, can you market a collection of essays (some as yet not written) by submitting say five or so, three of which have been published?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gloria285

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

You said

I haven't the foggiest notion of what is being asked of me here.

i'll assume that you mean "in order to get an agent"

This isn’t Hollywood where you need to have a reel, or an art school, or gallery, where you need to present a portfolio, or a university where you need to present sample essays.

You need to already have sealable product before you approach an agent. He won’t take you in and groom you on the strenght of some sample writings…

(Most likely he won’t groom you to become a better writer even if you have great manuscripts and potential "best-seller" stamped in ink on your forehead)

Like @what said, you need a polished finished product before you approach an agent. It is extremely unlikely that the agent will take you on based on some un-commercial essays, or essay collection.

Either develop these essays into a novel or chuck them away and start to develop a novel lenght book.

also do some basic searches like reading Q/A like:
How can I make a collection of essays / arguments more attractive to publishers?

Load Full (0)