bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : If you could design writing software, what would be your top 5 required features? I am a developer. I'm curious what features other writers look for in writing software. (I am, of course, excluding - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

I am a developer. I'm curious what features other writers look for in writing software.

(I am, of course, excluding features of typical word processors such as options to change font size, paragraph alignment, etc.)

*Important - this is only in reference to novel writing, not screen writing.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @RJPawlick285

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

A no-distraction fullscreen mode.
Seamless integration with cloud based storage but obviously not reliant on the cloud or internet connectivity.
A visual layout / outlining mode that allows you to build a basic graphical outline of your story. Nothing fancy.
Good built-in thesaurus with a solid dictionary. When I'm looking for a synonym I don't want the software to just tell me that two words are interchangeable - I want to make that call on my own. The ideal thesaurus would suggest a list of words and then provide easy access to their definitions so that the writer can easily choose between them.
Version control / easy editing mode.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

To be able to write nonlinearly

I want to be able to write chapter 3 before finishing chapter 1.

To have a thesaurus built-in

To have a proof-reading mode (like the track changes feature in Word)

Built-in Integration with Dropbox or Google Drive

Version Control, so that one can choose which are major changes, and can be reverted back to if needed.

Load Full (0)