bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: If I get a free ISBN through Amazon's CreateSpace now, will that impact any decisions about getting my own ISBN later? I am preparing my book for print-on-demand through Amazon's CreateSpace - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The original question:
"If I get a free ISBN through Amazon's CreateSpace now, will that impact any decisions about getting my own ISBN later?"

No.

But I would add to what others have written above. Amazon CreateSpace (not including KindleSelect) does not restrict you from selling your book elsewhere. You just cant use their ISBN to publish the book elsewhere. They say:
"This ISBN can only be used with the CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform."
That doesnt restrict you from selling your book anywhere. Its just got to be done through Amazon. Thats why the ISBN is free. If you later want to publish the book yourself through a fake publisher or your name, or through a real publisher, then a new ISBN will have to be assigned. And it can. Amazon cant stop you (unless you signed up for one of their special Kindle packages that might restrict that for a few months).

But personally, I wouldnt use the free Amazon ISBN. The main reason is in the imprint, it still has them listed as publisher. And thats going to not be as accepted into bookstores and libraries, mainly because its a print on demand book (ie lower quality than offset). Also, if you get your own ISBN now, you can not only use it at Amazon (with some distribution channel sales restrictions) but use it to print your own books and sell them. And some online retailers might also be willing to buy your books as the publisher you now are, because you have a real ISBN with a real publisher.

Thats my advice.....of course of you cant afford to buy the ISBN's thats another story.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gretchen741

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best