bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Usage of archaic words I am a non-native speaker trying to write in English. Due to my reading of chiefly dated English literature, my vocabulary consists of many terms that are regarded as - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This is very difficult to answer with any finality so I'll present a few thoughts that come to mind and hope they help you:

Your use of such words creates a style to your writing. Every author has a style and readers usually enjoy styles that are not common. So, having a style that integrates the use of outmoded, though perfectly correct, words would bring a unique style to your writing.
The hurdle of using such words though is that if you use too many, you may alienate your readers. This is a very ambiguous line and there is no perfect ratio of modern to archaic words that can be prescribed.
On the other side of this is the possibility that you could get readers interested in expanding their own vocabulary.
The ultimate success of your writing be will your ability, or lack thereof, to draw the reader in and create a compelling narrative, which is its own challenge regardless of the era of your vocabulary.

Best of luck!
Do you have any samples of writing to post here so that we can better gauge the efficacy of your word choice?

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sarah872

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best