bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Developing your writer's voice I'm a relatively new writer and sometimes I feel like my writing is too bland and that I'm struggling to develop my writer's voice. Does anyone have any good - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I have two tips.

1. Read.

This probably sounds strange at first. But I find some similarities between writing and speaking. You learned your speaking habits from those around you--your parents and caretakers when you were younger, your teachers (hopefully, at least as far as grammar and vocabulary goes), and nowadays more likely your friends and acquaintances. You have the option to form your writing voice more consciously.

You find your own voice bland? Well, try to find some writers whose voices you think have qualities you admire. Maybe it's a sort of tongue-in-cheek humor, or understatements. Maybe it's a lot of detail, or maybe you admire how they simply hint at things and simultaneously make things very clear.
Read them a lot. Expose yourself to it as much as possible. Analyze if you feel like it, though I wouldn't say analysis is absolutely necessary.

2. Write.

It's your voice, and you can only develop it by exercising it. If you find a few authors you like, according to tip #1 , try imitating their style. Heck, if there's a radio talk show host you like, or you think your English professor is witty, try imitating their way of expressing themselves in writing.
Developing a voice takes time, and practice, but I'm a firm believer in effort and practice, not talent, being the key to success.

EDIT: You may also find How do you find your unique style? helpful, and my advice is essentially the same as the first answer there. Heh. Only saw that afterwards.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Sent2472441

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best