bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Appropriate leading for blogs? Is there a leading (i.e., line spacing) commonly considered appropriate for most types of blogs? I'm referring, specifically, to "regular" blog posts, i.e. not asides, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Is there a leading (i.e., line spacing) commonly considered appropriate for most types of blogs? I'm referring, specifically, to "regular" blog posts, i.e. not asides, snippets, galleries, etc.¹

For my purposes, you could define this as a minimum of 500 words.

Please note that I'm not talking about a "standard" leading (although if, by some miracle, it exists, please do tell), but merely one that is commonly agreed upon or, at the very least, commonly used. (Basically, I'll take whatever you can give me; I just want to get as close as possible to a standard as one can observe in blog writing.)

¹ On WordPress.com, these would be labeled Text posts, the others often being Photo, Video, Quote, Link, Aside, Gallery, Status, Audio, and Chat posts. (See here.)

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Megan928

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Although with respect to the post by "what", I must disagree that leading is defined by the user. Most users have very little knowledge of adjusting their browsers anything beyond default.

This leaves the decision of leading to the blog writer, who may or may not be skilled in CSS to be able to alter it.

As such, standard typography conventions for leading usually default to 120% of the point size of the type. Thus a 10 point font usually gets 12 point leading. However, the most finely typeset documents, are ones that have been manually leaded and kerned (another discussion). Meaning, depending on the specific font, the leading is adjusted manually for optimum reading.

Also a consideration from the print world, is the length of the line of text. In print, a line of text should average 9 - 15 words, much like how the lines are being displayed here.Lines with much longer text will require more leading, whereas shorter lines will require reduced leading.

Summary: dependent on font. Investigate CSS.

Load Full (0)