bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Has leading changed over the last 15 years? When I was in primary school, I was told to use 1.0-line leading for papers; in secondary school, this jumped to 2.0 lines; in early tertiary school - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

When I was in primary school, I was told to use 1.0-line leading for papers; in secondary school, this jumped to 2.0 lines; in early tertiary school (i.e. college/university), I was told to use 1.5 line; and then, after my 3rd/4th year began, more and more I was expected to do 1.15-line leading.

In short,

Primary School: 1.0 line
Secondary School: 2.0 lines
Early Tertiary: 1.5 line
Mid-to-Late Tertiary: 1.15 line

Have expectations actually changed for academic papers, or is it that expectations have not changed but vary depending on the skill level? Or is it just combination?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jennifer354

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

I agree that 2.0 is the standard - at least for Humanities PhD production and academic writing. It is assumed then that a piece of work can be printed and commented upon 'in the space' surrounding the text. Gutters and margins likewise are typically specified.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Are you in the United States or elsewhere?

The United States colleges and universities favor a writing style called MLA or Modern Language Association -- they publish their own style guide which give extremely detailed instructions on how to format a paper for academic purposes.

After undergraduate work, most people involved in writing default to their field's standard format, or professional body's agreed conventions. Look up APA, Chicago etc. for more information.

Load Full (0)