logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Opening of a cover letter I am currently writing a cover letter (for a job application) and after a long 'struggle' with the opening paragraph, I've decided to start it by briefly presenting

Tiffany377 @Tiffany377

Posted in: #CoverLetter #Introduction #Letter #Openings #Phrasing

I am currently writing a cover letter (for a job application) and after a long 'struggle' with the opening paragraph, I've decided to start it by briefly presenting myself and then continuing with

"The reason for which I am writing /to you ???/ is to express my interest in..."

I've already gone through so many other variants that I'm no more able to assess the suitablity/acceptablity of a given phrase, thus I will be very thankful if someone shares their opinion of the above one?

As a supplementary inquiry, I'd also like to ask about the expression "writing to you". I wonder - is it actually neccesary to add "... to you" or that's self-explanatory?

10.01% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Reiling826

Reiling826 @Reiling826

In business communication, as in most other communication, you want to be as concise as possible while still being effective.

Your sentence "The reason for which I am writing..." with or without the "to you" is unnecessarily convoluted.

Try "I am writing to express my interest..."

or even "I am interested in..."

Get to the point. I read a lot of cover letters at work, and I'm not looking for high word count, I'm looking for basic information.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme