bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What to Research for Military Fiction? I'm beginning to write a novel on a person in the military, and this is set in the future so the technology would be different, but I want a basic - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I am a big fan of Sun Tzu. His "Art of War" is still relevant, so I suppose it would remain relevant in the future as well. He writes about general concepts like supply lines, instead of specifics like cavalry or drones. The concepts do not change, I guess.

Another book I would recommend is "Catch 22". It's absurdity and horror give a very good show of how military service actually feels.

Two things separating the military from civilian life are the lingo and the discipline. That's the two things I remember best from my bootcamp, anyway. You can assume your average reader would be a civilian, so his introduction to the military environment would be similar to the introduction of a rookie to bootcamp. The lingo you can make up, since you're in the future. The discipline - it's up to you just how uptight your military is (there's wide variety between modern armies, and different divisions in the same armed force), but there would be something. You can look here for more discussion of military discipline in fiction.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Dunderdale623

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best