bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : First time translator If I have no formal training as a writer and I want to translate someone else's book in my home language, what is the best way to get into contact with the author to - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

If I have no formal training as a writer and I want to translate someone else's book in my home language, what is the best way to get into contact with the author to discuss/recommend this?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Caterina108

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

You can try traditional authors (contact them through their agents or publishers), but most of them will likely chose a translator with experience.

It may be best for you to try to work your way up through the ranks. You can contact self-published authors, many of whom are more open to non-traditional business plans, and see if they're interested.

You could also translate some excerpts of work in the public domain as a way to demonstrate your skills, and have these available as samples when you contact potential clients.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Own experience answer: It is relatively easy to become a translator. Many of my friends did this "job" while studying at school. But it has a drawback: If you have no (or little) experience, you can assume getting "B class" book to translate (or niche type of a book)

First step is obvious: Make a publisher (or publishing house) know that you are willing to translate a book.

Load Full (0)