bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to share research and character notes between multiple works in Scrivener? My previous workflow was "write in LaTeX, using emacs", with research and character notes kept in plain-text files, - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

My previous workflow was "write in LaTeX, using emacs", with research and character notes kept in plain-text files, using symlinks between multiple works set in the same fictional world.

This allowed me trivial flexibility in sharing character notes between multiple works, while only having a single, authoritative source of data.

What is the best way of accomplishing this in a Scrivener world? The only solution I've managed to discover of my own is to keep multiple "Story" objects, in a single project.

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Angie602

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Scrivener has a feature, called Scratch Pad:

Mac version: Window > Show Scratch Pad.
Windows version: Tools > Scratch Pad

It is a stand-alone repository of text notes, shared between the projects, which you can send to any of them: import as a subdocument or attach to any existing document of the selected project.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

External links may solve your problem. Here is a step-by-step that may get you started:

Create a new document in the References folder of the Binder.

Now choose the "Document References" button from the bottom of the right hand column.

Click the + button at top right of this pane. From the drop-down list, choose "Look up and Add External Reference"

Use the dialogue box to find your character source documents and choose Okay.

The external document is now in your project as a link and can be referenced at any time. On a Mac, you can get a quick view of this document by choosing it and hitting your spacebar for a quick view. You'll want to edit this document using whatever word processor you were using before.

To get this information quickly into a different project, you can drag and drop the "Character docs" document from the binder of one project into the binder of another. This will allow you to update your original character documents whenever you like and they will always be up-to-date no matter which Scrivener project you open.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The Mac version of Scrivener (dunno about the Windows or Linux versions) has a feature that may help: Synchronised Folders. Strictly speaking, this feature does not share documents between multiple projects—in fact, the manual specifically warns against attempting this—but it does make selected files available for viewing and simple text editing outside of your Scrivener project.

So Synchronised Folders will not do exactly what you are asking, but it may help.

Load Full (0)