bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How to Choose What is Included in Table of Contents for ePub Book Right now, Scrivener only includes folders at Level 1+ in the generated ePub table of contents. How do I also tell it to - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Right now, Scrivener only includes folders at Level 1+ in the generated ePub table of contents. How do I also tell it to include text at Level 3+ as part of the table of contents?

I'm not seeing an option to edit the documents included in the table of contents. I would expect one in the Formatting tab of the Compile options.

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Goswami879

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

For simple epub docs, I use Calibre to generate the TOC for me. It doesn't matter whether or not you have Scrivener generate the TOC. I end up deleting it anyway. In Calibre, if you go to the 'Edit Book' function in the main toolbar, you can select 'Edit table of contents' in the following toolbar.

From there, I select 'Generate TOC from major headings' and it populates the left column. You can select it from all heading if you wish. Then, you can choose to delete unwanted items, as well as adjust the nesting of them (either making them all equal, or breaking up your chapters). You can also rename the TOC items to whatever you want. Hit 'OK', then save the document. If you try to close the window, it will prompt you to save.

That should provide your new TOC, which works in iBooks (and probably others).

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I can't see a way to adjust that.

Instead of using the compiler-generated HTML TOC, you can create your own HTML TOC. Two steps:

In the Layout section of the compiler, deselect "Generate HTML table of contents."
Add a Contents document to your project, with the titles of each item you want to include. Format each title as you like, and make each title link to the appropriate folder or text document.

Note: This will affect only the HTML table of contents in the body of your epub file. It will not affect the NCX file that many readers use to build their own navigation links. I cannot see a way to influence what goes into the NCX file other than using folders to indicate titles. (Or editing it by hand afterward.)

Also, I cannot see a way to convince the compiler to generate a hierarchical TOC.

This is one of the reasons I don't use Scrivener to create my epubs. :-( Scrivener is very good at producing nice, clean epub files, but, alas, it does not give me quite enough control over the output.

Load Full (0)