bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Write a book with "protected" characters/ideas without copyright? I want to write a book about an idea/story I've had for many years that I find many will truly enjoy when furnished out; however, - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Once you write something, you officially own the copyright to it. That basically means that nobody else can use your story, characters, or setting to create their own story, because it would be considered a derivative work. Basic copyright laws protect the owner from such acts.

To help ensure that other people do not assume that your work is "open source", simply add the following tag: "Copyright 2015 by Author Name". By doing this, you make a public declaration that your work is under copyright protection and warns others that they cannot freely reuse your content.

Part of your question also mentions the word "ideas". You should be aware that ideas themselves cannot be protected under copyright. If you come up with an idea to write a story about a wife shooting her cheating husband, there is nothing that will prevent somebody else using that idea to write a story about different people in a different setting.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray165

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best