bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: ISBN - is it possible to have one and a title before publishing? i am currently writing a book but would like to know if i can pre register an ISBN and Book title. I am little concerned - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Technically, you shouldn't need to purchase an ISBN at all, unless you are planning to publish the book yourself, including the printing. If the only reason you are even considering it is in the hopes of protecting your title, then an ISBN won't even do that for you. In that instance, the only benefit of an ISBN would be in helping libraries or other sources differentiate between two books with the same title.

If you decide to self-publish your book as a Kindle or Nook e-book, then you won't even need an ISBN, because each of those sources will assign their own unique identifiers for your book. You can still obtain an ISBN through them without having to pay for it, if you decide you really want one. Also, if you use a source such as CreateSpace to publish a print version of your book, they can provide you with an ISBN without you having to pay for it.

In any of these instances you can certainly buy your own ISBN, but unless you have a number of titles or want to represent yourself as a publisher, there really isn't any benefit in doing so.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Murray165

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best