bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Techniques to avoid superlatives in intense fiction scenes I'm an aspiring writer and I'm finding it hard to not get swept up "in the moment" of the characters. What are some techniques to - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

A common trap for novice writers is to try to build emotion by using lots of superlatives and exclamation marks.

This is a case where the classic advice, "show, don't tell", should be considered. Don't just tell the reader that something is the biggest or the best or the ugliest. Describe it or show it in action so that the reader sees why or how it is the best, etc.

An example I came across on writing that has always stuck with me is this. Consider these two sentences: (a) "She is very lovable." (b) "She is like a cuddly kitten." Which is more effective?

If you need to just get a point across quickly and move on, a simple sentence like, "Bob is the strongest person I know" makes the point. But it would be far more interesting if you actually described some feats of strength. Talk about how the child was trapped under the car in the accident, and Bob lifted the car up with one hand and pulled him out with the other, saving his life. Or some such. If the story is effective, you don't need lots of superlatives or exclamation marks to make the point. (Not that you should never use them, of course. But that you shouldn't use them as a substitute for good descriptive writing.)

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Bryan361

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best