bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it ok for a tough character to be "petty"? My female protagonist wears Prada, and after receiving a big promotion at work, she plots to take over the CEO-ship of her company. One (female) - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

The problem isn't necessarily that the character is too mean, it's more likely that she doesn't have enough positive traits for that particular reader to enjoy a story with her as the protagonist.

Different readers will have different tolerances. I'm guessing you enjoy mean characters, and some of your readers will probably feel the same way. But you might want to consider providing some balance as well. Is your character secretly insecure? Does she have a heart of gold? Is she compensating for past trauma or exacting secret revenge?

With all that said, I've occasionally seen stories that are so compelling that you don't care that the main character is thoroughly unlikeable, you just want to go along for the ride (I'm thinking of Youth in Revolt here). But you really have to "go for broke" to make that work.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Samaraweera193

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best