logo selfpublishingguru.com

topic : Taxonomy of understanding: term Years ago I encountered a term to describe the way verbs are used taxonomically in college syllabi to suggest different levels of comprehension. The hierarchy, in

Cofer669 @Cofer669

Posted in: #Terminology

Years ago I encountered a term to describe the way verbs are used taxonomically in college syllabi to suggest different levels of comprehension. The hierarchy, in order of increasing sophistication of understanding, was something like:

identify
describe
demonstrate
master

There were other terms, which I've forgotten. This hierarchy was named, if I remember, after the person who established it, but I can't remember the name. I've tried searching, to no avail. Does anyone know the name of this system?

10.01% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (1) Report

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

@Annie587

Annie587 @Annie587

You want Bloom's.

It can be considered on-topic as a writing framework, a method for organizing a paper. For example, if OP was tasked with critiquing a learning program where s/he is consulting, s/he would use Bloom's Taxonomy to argue whether lessons presented are sequenced correctly.

Same example, but focusing on learner assessment. If OP needs to evaluate and report against an assessment, their response may be the questions are not sequenced correctly, meaning difficult questions are asked too early.

Sequencing questions in order of easier to most difficult allows us to see at what point the student's knowledge stops. We have identified a gap.

Without Bloom's, OP could not write a credible report. It would be only their opinion.

10% popularity Vote Up Vote Down

0 Reactions   React

Replies (0) Report

SelfPubGuruLearn self publishing
Back to top | Use Dark Theme