bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What is a normal length for a chapter? I've always had trouble determining whether my chapters are within the same size realm as chapters in standard books. Since it isn't exactly feasible - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think that strongly depends on the what the author likes. One novel of Stephen King (can't remember the name at the moment) has no chapters at all. My mother - who always reads to chapter-ends - was half through the book as she noticed it.

I do completely ignore chapters if I read. I use a book mark to remember where I was, but stop reading also in the middle of a chapter.

For writing I would conclude, that some readers - like my mother - use chapters to plan the time for reading. If you want to make it comfortable for them, count the length of a chapter in novels you like. Take the difficulty level of the story and the used language into account. More complicated books are read slower, so the chapters should be shorter to complete a chapter in around the same time.

But if you have a good idea about it, the chapters may also used to make an 'effect'. Changing lengths of an chapter may reflect the increase pace in your story. Or you could use absurd long or short chapters to astonish your readers.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Radia543

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best