bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I avoid legal repercussions for writing a story based on events in my life? How do I avoid legal repercussions for writing a story based on events in my life? Mainly, I have experienced - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As a publisher and editor, I'd place no restrictions on the DRAFT content of an ostensibly true autobio. It would be best to have you get everything you want to say down onto the page, which I could then cull and structure. That is, if I thought the end result would be a great read and that it would sell.

Clearly you wish to elaborate about negative events and how you feel about them. A subcategory of Nonfiction is Editorial, so you'll need a clear, easy to find, up-front statement that the book contains historical facts as well as your personal interpretation and opinion of those facts. A statement like this needs to be included in the "Approved to Print" FINAL. Also that the "opinions expressed are YOURS, not mine or any third parties used to publish." (if you go strictly with facts, it would make for a dry autobio-- any writer can collect facts and spill them back out in order -- your commentary makes up the heart and soul of a good life-story).

As for the possibility of libel because Person X, whom you intend to name, did Y and Z awful things to you during your time at Company A...especially the part about how Company A still exists. I'd be concerned about a libel suit against you from Person X, violating person X's privacy, a libel suit from Company A, so I'd simply change the names and add a note that I did so as in my capacity as editor.

Unless you can prove that Person X did Y and Z. Truth is bullet-proof against libel. In court, we'd need some sort of corroborating evidence (like an
incident report from company A, a police report or a witness other than yourself and person X willing to be sworn in and corroborate "X did Y and Z to the author."

As for incriminating yourself,
a) US citizens have a right NOT TO; you'd be giving up this right and I'd need you to sign a release form stating that I advised you of your rights and that you knowingly and willingly gave them up AND that myself and any 3rd party used to publish, distribute, market or sell your story is also released from any civil action from you.
b) I cannot speak for the entire US (My familiarity in criminal and media law resides mainly with the California Penal Code, but other western locales are likely to be about the same): The only two crimes I can think of for which there is no statute of limitations are PC 187 and 188 - 1st and 2nd degree murder.

The more brutally honest and graphic you are, the better the read and the MORE I'd want to publish all of it. If I couldn't persuade you to use pseudonyms for the chapter in question, I would have to route the copy to "Legal." (A lawyer specializing in US Media Law).

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cody1607638

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best