bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : How should I break down a huge table of contents? I am creating a table of contents for a book, and there are 4 ways of splitting information up. The biggest zones are 'Chapters', those can - selfpublishingguru.com

10.01% popularity

I am creating a table of contents for a book, and there are 4 ways of splitting information up. The biggest zones are 'Chapters', those can span several pages; these are bold, underlined and in large font.

Secondly are 'Modules', these are in bold and are color coded, and break only larger chapters up; else, they're not used.

Thirdly there are 'Sections', these are what group tasks together and either split up chapters or modules (if used); these are underlined.

And lastly there are 'Tasks' themselves, these sometimes don't exist if the section is fairly straight forward; they have no formatting.

Example: A chapter could be 'Windows Setup'. Modules could be 'Textmode', 'graphical', and 'OOBE'. Sections could be 'New Installation' and 'Repair/Upgrade'. Tasks could be 'format the drive', 'set the date & time' and 'choose a password'.

Question 1. Is this a good way to lay everything out?
Question 2. Does anybody know of a word to use instead of 'tasks/task'?

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Berumen699

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Many of the technical books I read have two tables of contents: a short, broad list, and a detailed list. I find this format useful.

Synonyms for 'task' include 'job', 'project' and 'labour'. However, for technicial books repeating words can be helpful for the reader.

Load Full (0)