bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What kind of paper do novels use and why? I have a couple of translated Japanese light novels from Seven Seas, and the paper used feels different and is a darker color that that of the white - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

I have a couple of translated Japanese light novels from Seven Seas, and the paper used feels different and is a darker color that that of the white office paper that I am commonly exposed to. I also seem to vaguely remember the paper in these novels being the same in the Harry Potter books I used to read a kid.

I am wondering if this paper is different from the general white office paper I normally see. Why it is used? Is it cheaper or does it have special qualities suited for book printing?

Bellow are some photos I have taken though I'm not sure if the differences are really as noticeable in digital form compared to real life.

The one of the left is from one of the Japanese light novels who's paper seems to be the same used in the Harry Potter books I used to read. The right one is just a piece of paper that was printed off. As you might be able to see in the left one the paper is darker that the white office paper.

There is also a grain effect in the paper on the left (which I don't believe is a style thing) that isn't on the white paper; though this might be hard to see because of the fact these are photos.

Load Full (1)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Jessie137

1 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

The most commonly used paper is (arguably) Newsprint. Because it's cheap, very easy to get hold of, and is non-archival (i.e.: it breaks down easily).

Pretty much every paperback in the west uses it for mass market paperbacks.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsprint
Other papers may be used; especially for large-format books that need to maintain their shape. They will tend to use acid-free paper that is usually white. It tends to have higher gsm, and is designed to be more durable.

Load Full (0)