bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: In what parts of a newspaper/magazine one could get an article published? If you have an article and you want to get it published in newspapers or magazines, what are the parts you could do - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think it's important to know more about the type of article you're hoping to write. The Washington Post sums it up nicely in this doc--even the majority of words written by their full-time staff never make it to print. However, as @Tave pointed out, there are a number of "smaller" publications that are more willing to work with newer freelancers, and are often just as reputable as the NYT or WaPo.

Personally, I got my start by writing buying guides for a small start-up. It wasn't exactly the kind of writing I wanted to be doing, but a funny thing happened: those guides ended up getting syndicated by Yahoo's Canadian site. The point is, it's great to be shooting for such a high bar, but being published by a lesser-known magazine is also a really, really good thing.

That being said, before you even approach a smaller mag, you should also be aware that a simple "I'd like to write for you" won't get any editors' attention. Here are a few elements of a really good magazine pitch:

2-3 short paragraphs (2-3 sentences each, tops)
Answer these questions: Why this topic? Why are you the right person to write it? Why is this important now?
Your bio (don't worry if you don't have too many credentials, but make sure you give the editor a bit of background)

I might have gone overboard here, but hope this helps.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gretchen741

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best