bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : I like to write but I keep stopping myself I have this problem where I always just can't seem to be satisfied by my choice of words resulting it me never getting far in writing. Almost - selfpublishingguru.com

10.04% popularity

I have this problem where I always just can't seem to be satisfied by my choice of words resulting it me never getting far in writing.

Almost every sentence I would think "This isn't the kind of thing I would say.." But the other part of me is thinking "This is how I want to be portrayed". Which is effectively "I want to be this person that I imagined".

While writing this I just realized I may be posting this question in the wrong place. And that I l'm only referring to writings in regards to self branding. But this is where I see to be most appropriate to ask for help.

p.s. i had to force myself to minimize any edits and even submit this question. feeling extremely uncomfortable.

Load Full (4)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Dunderdale623

4 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

It's common to have a different persona in your writing than in person. One of the advantages of writing is that you can appear wittier, quicker-witted, more eloquent and knowledgeable than in life, all through the magic of editing.

I always advise people online to present their public persona, not their private one, and to make it a kinder, calmer, more modest and moderate self, because the online record is visible to all, and never goes away.

As they say in the theater, realism is just another style. Presenting yourself in print exactly as you are in life is arguably not even possible, let alone a moral necessity.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Another approach for you might be to write in sprints - say, 10-15 minutes - and do not permit yourself to edit. Get up for a short break, do something other than writing, then return to the writing for a new session. When you do, go back over the words you wrote in the previous session, and do any editing you'd like to do. Then move forward for another 10-15 minutes (or whatever you can manage). Lather, rinse, repeat.

I've found this helps me produce more work, with better wording, and satisfies the "internal editor" telling me to fix things. Maybe that method will work for you too.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

I think you're talking about strategic writing.Seth Godin has advice for the mind set this needs.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

In Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, she talks about "shitty first drafts." (Read about it here.) The point is that your first draft should be nothing more than a dump of creative ideas, disregarding spelling, grammar, consistency, and all other quality measures. Then clean it up to make sense when you revise.

[Someone who wasn't Hemingway] said, "Write drunk, edit sober," and it echoes Lamott's advice.

Load Full (0)