bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Confidentiality Concerns I have recently joined a writers group, and one person has asked to read my entire book. She is lovely, but I am concerned about letting my "baby" go and possibly - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I wouldn't personally feel comfortable with that, especially if you don't know her well, which I'm gathering is the case since you said you'd only joined the group recently.

I think Tave's suggestion is good. If you do allow her to read parts of your book, you could always get her to sign a NDA or some contract specifying copyright etc.

You have to think about what you will get out of it. Is she a published writer? If so, have you read any of her work? Do you like it? Does she intend to give you feedback or is she just curious?

I think being slightly paranoid is appropriate in this case, especially if you don't know the person that well. Don't ever feel obliged to do what you don't want to out of fear of offending. You have to trust your gut. I think that the fact that you are asking the questions suggests you're not 100% comfortable with the idea. Your instinct is really important.

Having said that CKmum is right that getting other people's feedback can be useful and can push your work along, so taking basic security measures can give you peace of mind with that.

I'm currently finishing my first novel and unless I knew the person very well, I wouldn't give my whole book over to read--perhaps a chapter or two at the most. If I hired a proofreader, I'd prepare a contract for them to sign first.

Good luck.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Gail2416123

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best