bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Confidentiality Concerns I have recently joined a writers group, and one person has asked to read my entire book. She is lovely, but I am concerned about letting my "baby" go and possibly - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I suppose the easiest thing would be to give her just part of the book, without going into any big deal about not trusting her. Like just way, "Well, I really need to do some rework on the second half of the book before I want anyone else to see it. But I'm happy to show you the first four chapters. I'd love to hear any comments you may have."

But really, I think the bigger issue is: Beginning writers often get really paranoid about someone stealing their work. I'd say: quit worrying that much about it. Yes, it's possible that if you gave this woman a copy of your book to proofread, she would promptly change the title and the author name and submit it to a publisher as her own. Possible, but not very likely. As a beginning writer myself, I worry a lot more about writing something good enough that anybody would want to steal it.

With friends and professional publishing companies, I would worry pretty much not at all. With someone who is practically a random stranger like this, maybe some concern and precautions are justified, but I wouldn't go crazy about it.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Annie587

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best