bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What are potential pitfalls for a young writer? Though I'm by no means perfect, I generally consider myself a good writer. The issue is that most older writers I know look back on their writing - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I think the biggest "young person mistake" is being too obsessed with posterity. You just need to write the best book you can at any given moment in your life. Second-guessing your future opinions is a losing game. You'll likely dislike your early work as an older author, because life will have made you a different person --but the older author's opinion will not necessarily be the right one.

For a good example, the young George Lucas wrote a movie called Star Wars that was massively successful and influential. The older George Lucas later went back and made changes to his early movies that were almost universally despised by fans. He thought he was fixing mistakes that now made him cringe, but the fans thought he was tampering with a masterpiece.

The one thing that can be guaranteed is that if you try to write a book with no mistakes, that will end up looking like the biggest mistake of all. Nothing sounds more artless than a person trying too hard to be artful.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Kevin153

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best