bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: Is it possible for characters to get stuck reacting the same way to everything? Alright so I am new here so I'm not sure if it's okay to ask this type of question, but I am wondering if - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

One big thing you can do is change the circumstances as much as possible whenever he's having one of these events. When you're in the middle of a panic attack you become incredibly reactive to everything. So give him a variety of things to react to.

For example, pair him with different characters and let their reactions be the variable. If it's a common thing, maybe there's a family member who is so experienced with it that they can anticipate what he needs and help bring him down.

Put him with another high strung person and they can play off each other's panic.

Maybe he has an attack near someone who isn't taking it seriously and even screwing with him a little.

Maybe he's with a heavily medicated person and suddenly they give him a handful of tranquilizers to take.

Here's one from personal experience. He's having a panic attack but before he can excuse himself for a breath of air a birthday cake is wheeled out along with a bunch of waiters. Now he's panicking to the tune of happy birthday but doesn't want to show it and is just trying to hold it together while he waits for a five year old to think of her wish so she'll blow out her damn candles and the wait staff will go back to the kitchen and get out of his way.

I don't know your story so I'm not sure what will and won't work but something needs to change to keep it from feeling stagnant. Just play around with things and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lee1909368

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best