bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to help reader visualize the environment in a story? In a story where there is only one character doesn't talk to anyone don't know where he is and is narrating his story - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Everyday scenes: I think not describing the narrator's environment is a valid option. For example, I never describe environments that are perfectly natural and well-known to my narrator, since my narrator does not have the slightest motivation to talk or even think about them. You do not leave your house in the morning and actively notice what your street looks like. You've seen this street every morning for years - no need to pay special attention to it. (Unless it is covered in toads.) If, on the other hand, your narrator has reasons to take notice of his environment, he will think and talk about it. In this case, the reader is automatically informed about it.

An aside: Feelings. I disagree with Lauren here. Although description is what ultimately reveals a character, I sincerely believe that it is not necessarily the narrator that describes his or her feelings. On the contrary, I try to avoid these "internal monologues" at all costs, since they are usually tedious to read:

"I feel sad. Would a cup of coffee cheer me up? No it wouldn't. Or would
it? I can't decide."

Unless you have a terribly introvert character, feelings usually manifest themselves in actions. In my opinion it is enough to record these feelings-driven actions. Readers are smart enough to figure out which inner struggles cause the actions:

The living room was damp and the heater silent, dawn spat long shadows
into the room. Rebecca sat on the couch and stared into the twiglight.
In front of her, a cup of coffee sat on the living room table. It had
stopped steaming, how long ago? Rebecca couldn't tell. She curled up
on the couch and buried her face in the cold cushions.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Lee1909368

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best