bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : What is the story structure called when someone doesn't know they have the solution to their problem in hand? Perhaps the "classic" example is Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. Early in her journey - selfpublishingguru.com

10.02% popularity

Perhaps the "classic" example is Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. Early in her journey through the land of Oz, she acquires the slippers that she needs to take her back to Kansas. But she doesn't realize this until she is told at the very end, which is why she tries "other means" of achieving her goal.

What is this story structure called?

Load Full (2)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Welton431

2 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

This is less of a story structure and more of a trope. (You can have very different story structures leading up to that final revelation.) Also, I don't know how many story structures actually have established names :P

Tropes don't always have established names either, but TV Tropes calls this "It Was With You All Along".

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The only term I came across (in my brief search) was self-realization drama. It can cross genres but perhaps seems best suited for fantasy. It's the classic "I knew I had the power within me" kind of story.

Load Full (0)