bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : As described by Nonnal, it is less of a rule than a subjective guideline. Pronouns reduce redundancy and make a paragraph flow more easily. The use of the subject repeatedly will only draw - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As described by Nonnal, it is less of a rule than a subjective guideline. Pronouns reduce redundancy and make a paragraph flow more easily. The use of the subject repeatedly will only draw more attention to the subject and not the actions or dialogue the subject is performing.

As such, this can be used for that very purpose, but I personally would class it under a writing style to only use very occasionally, at least for narrative.

I find that using the subject roughly every 1 to 2 paragraphs is enough to keep a reader informed about who the pronouns are referring to, obviously depending on the context of the sentences and the number of characters in a scene.

While this question is about repeating a subject, here's an example of mine of the use of pronouns only after the first use of the subject in the preceding paragraph.

"I can't believe that Jank," thought Skye angrily. "When I get back I'm going to kill him."

Her grav bike was nearby, realising where she'd stopped after looking at her locator. Relieved, she sat down for a drink and to calm down a little. She couldn't here the strangers any longer and paid more attention to the sounds of the forest. The canopy was thick and only occasional flecks of sunlight shone directly onto the ground. Birds she'd never heard before sung throughout the canopy. She had never been to this area on the planet and always loved the idea of visiting somewhere new.

In this example, you're only dealing with one character after others have been removed from the scene, so we really only need a very occasional reference to the character's name.

I'd be interested to see an example of your repeated use of the subject in context.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Martha805

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best