bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What's Essential In A Combat Scene? I've just been reading a bunch of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books. Although they were the most enjoyable read I'd had in ages I always found myself skimming - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

I've recently been reading an anthology of Robert E. Howard stories. He's a pulp author from the 30s who is known largely for his action-packed adventures. In fact, pretty much every one of his stories has at least one fight scene, and in my opinion, he writes them very well.

The REH system for fight scenes seems to go something like this:

Start with descriptions of the characters and their emotional states. Are they excited? Scared? Angry? How do they show it?
As they leap into battle, give a few sentences of detailed description. Swords clash, parry and counter, guns are fired, etc.
After the first few sentences, zoom out from the action a bit. Describe how the characters move and fight in a more general way. Character X fights fast and wild, while character Y stays on the defensive, only counterattacking when he sees an opportunity.
Zoom back into detailed description as the fight finishes. What does the killing blow look like? What do the characters feel?

I like this style for a few reasons. The description up front reminds the reader exactly what these characters are fighting for, and it makes the fight emotional as well as physical. The detail at the start of the fight makes it feel visceral. By zooming out in the middle, we avoid having to sit through pages of detailed description without feeling like we missed what happened. Then we zoom back into detail to lend excitement to the finale.

I'd recommend picking up some REH. The anthology I'm reading is The Best of Robert E. Howard, Vol. 1. The stories occasionally feel a bit dated, but they work very well if you look at them as a workshop on crafting fight scenes.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cugini967

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best