bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What should step one in writing a novel be? I have had an interest in writing for years, but I don't know where to start or how to organize the process of "becoming a writer." I have - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Some great questions! I know right where you are coming from. Writing a full novel can be very daunting. There are a lot of possible answers to your questions because, unfortunately, there is not one right way to start a book. John Irving has been known to skip to the end of his book and write the last sentence before beginning a novel just so that he can keep that end mark permanently in his mind.

I tend to procrastinate things, so having some structure helps me get started.

Make an outline of what you think your story is.
Interrogate your Characters. You have to get into their heads if you want to write their story well.
Have notes of the setting. Whether you have it printed out or minimized, always have your notes of what the setting is close on hand so that you can keep track of the world you're in. That includes places on Earth!

To your concerns about whether you will write as well as your favorite authors or fear of writing something good, don't worry, it'll take time. You might not be the next Stephen King or John Le Carre. Your stories are stories they can never write because the experiences that shape you are unique, and that's the art element of writing a novel.

Don't doubt yourself at the starting gate. If you think it's an interesting idea, try to go through the three steps above. If you can't make it through an outline, you won't finish that book and it's not a compelling enough idea Yet!

You will find a story that grips you that you are dying to tell and the outline and story will quickly following if you put your pen to paper.

Overall, don't stress yourself, just start. Don't compare yourself, just start. Don't edit and be critical of your work, just finish!

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Debbie451

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best