bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Third person multiple pov in a crime mystery Fellow writers, I am plotting a crime mystery novel. I have the story and gist in place. It should have the "whodunit" element. I want to use - selfpublishingguru.com

10.03% popularity

Fellow writers,

I am plotting a crime mystery novel. I have the story and gist in place. It should have the "whodunit" element. I want to use Third person multiple pov narrative(more than 6+ povs). I've seen it done (but not in mystery) by having the character name at the beginning of a chapter.

Now my dilemma, how do I get around keeping the killer/killers a suspense while using such an approach. Are there any other ways to incorporate the pov I want, without giving away the name of the character. It is okay if the reader knows its the killers pov (just not who he/she is).

Maybe by a clear depiction of the criminals dark opinion? Or by altogether avoiding character names before chapters, and letting the reader figure out who's pov it is(but I feel it would be confusing, with 6+ povs).

Any input, suggestions and experience with using 3rd person multiple povs is welcome.

Load Full (3)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Connie138

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Multiple pov is promising until it is not confusing for readers. You can simply include the killer's narrative whenever you want to spice things up. I would love to read such work until it is not frustrating. You can simply cross check your lines by thinking as a reader than a writer. As a character's voice is oblivious, you can twist the plot by shifting concentration on each and every character.Hope this helps you.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

The POV for each scene should be made clear very quickly. But that's not hard if you mention their name in the narration when doing something.

As mentioned above, you can just use "the killer" or something like that for the killer. Use "they" instead of "he/she", or even switch to first person.

The other thing is that most people wouldn't title themselves a "killer" but instead consider themselves an instrument of justice, vengeance, purification, etc - focusing on their motivation not the act. Make sure the killer has a realistic reason for doing what he does, whether revenge or God telling him to, to protecting others, not just "he's evil/crazy so he kills people".

6+ is a lot of POV characters. You'll need to work hard to build empathy, unless several are less-used side characters. Good luck.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

You don't need character names in chapter headings, unless you are attempting multiple first person narratives.

Therefore your only problem is how to name the villain. Dan Brown does this n every novel. Just pick something descriptive, e.g. The Controller, The Military Man, The Survivor. Names like these allude to a role or a personal history which can be a secret even to their closest friends or colleagues. Thus in your final act you can reveal Brian the chicken farmer was secretly The Assassin the whole time.

Alternatively you can introduce your villain through the eyes of a minion or victim, and thenceforth name him as that person saw him, e.g. The Man in White, or The Limping Man.

Readers may tire of it however, but to maintain mystery, these pov chapters would likely be few and brief anyway.

Load Full (0)