bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to describe people from the 'eyes' of a blind person? I am currently working on a fantasy novel that is set in medieval times. I created my world, started to write, and then bumped into - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

How can I make them different from each other without just saying things like 'the woman with the high pitched voice'

Don't just describe a voice as high or low pitched. Your detailed description of a voice - its changes of pitch, rhythm, speed, pattern of breathing, hesitations, precise accent, individual quirks of pronunciation - is your opportunity to let the reader experience the world in the way that creatures of this blind race experience it. (Of course you should do the same for all the senses other than sight.) If you can emphasise the differences between what a blind human would perceive and what a blind non-human of this race with the extra senses you mention would perceive, so much the better.

An example of a book where something similar is done well is Watership Down by Richard Adams. The main characters are rabbits, and spend much of their time underground where they cannot see. Adams describes how the rabbits sense how big an underground space is by the quality of the sound and the currents of air, how they greet each other by touching noses, and so on.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Carla500

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best