bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How do I keep a journey sequence going? In my story, my characters have to go on a journey, plus it's medieval. (So original right?) Anywho, they've already been captured by road robbers once - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

This is a question I've asked many a time myself. I'm also writing a fantasy/medieval story and I've struggled with this to the point that I just skip writing these traveling scenes (which you shouldn't do; it's essential to show time and distances have been passed/covered).

Depending on what voice you're using (first person, third person, etc.), I would fill in some of the gaps with dialogue and thoughts of your MC(s). This can be used to develop your character(s), mostly by leaving them alone with their thoughts!

Also, it never hurts to add a LITTLE description of passing scenery of villages if you make it interesting enough, an odd tree, mountains in the distance. It's also a good idea (if they're traveling for some time) to include a campsite, a place when your characters rest, and include them being tired and sore. Possibly to make it more interesting one of them can be hurt and have trouble traveling at the same pace as the others; he/she could get better or worse and this could add some tension! Will this character live??

If all else fails and you've got no idea how to add excitement, make a character suffer. TENSION!!! :)

Also don't stretch it out too long because even if your characters are being hunted with an injured companion and no hope of escape, making them travel hopelessly for too long will get extremely boring!

It's also a good idea to add a character plot twist - a secret of some sort that is revealed about one of your characters and makes your other characters think differently about this character. (Yes, I know I said character four times, wasn't sure how to put it so it could make sense. Hope this helps! :) )

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Si5022468

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best