bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: How to secure my written work from being stolen or copied before publishing? I'm a newbie in the field of writing. After writing a book, I need to visit a number of publishers. So, how do - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

As far as I know, you can't really protect an 'idea' (otherwise every story would have to be unique). I'm not an expert when it comes to these things, but I can imagine that it's rather simple to take an existing story, change a few names and elements, so that it counts as 'new'.

If you want to have a prove that you came up with it earlier (maybe to avoid being accused of copying the story from the one stealing it from you (which would be ironic) ), without revealing the story itself, one possibility would be to 'publish' an anagram (or even better, a hash) of your story somewhere. That way, you have a timestamp and can prove that you already had that specific draft written previously. Just make sure to not edit the text you used for the anagram or hash - otherwise it would not be possible to recreate it without knowing the changes you made.

See:
wordsmith.org/anagram/practical.html (Trusted Timestamping)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_timestamping

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Chiappetta298

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best