bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Re: What's the difference between a 1-, 2- or 3-dimensional character? The terms are bandied around quite often to describe fictional characters, generally in order to help describe how developed a - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Some subjective examples in accordance with the definitions below:

1-dimensional: Katniss Everdeen. Harry Potter.
2-dimensional: I'm at a loss here, although I very much like Lauren's definition. However, I feel that remembering this special type of character is rather hard, since they neither annoy you like the 1-dimensional characters, nor do they stay with you like the 3-dimensional characters. They're just ... there, somehow. I'm pretty sure that you can find them in any major Blockbuster or Bestseller.
3-dimensional: William Stoner, Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, Davy Jones of Pirates of the Caribbean, Counselor Sam Healy of Orange is the new Black, and pretty much the entire ensemble of American Hustle.

Regarding the definition, I can offer a slightly different perspective that is however consistent with the definitions above. For me, 1- and 2-dimensional characters are soulless. I can just dump them into a story and they will serve their purpose, no questions asked. They feel hollow and uncomfortable when using them, like a piece of clothing that doesn't quite fit. 3-dimensional characters on the other hand are stubborn. They have their own mind and will flat out refuse to engage in any action that is in disagreement with their nature. It is still possible to force them into certain situations and actions, but writing these scenes will feel like a lie to you, until you surrender to your character and let him or her have her/his natural way.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Dunderdale623

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best