bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Can I use an abbreviated two-digit format for year in a resume? Can I use '14, '15, '16, etc., instead of the full four digits? - selfpublishingguru.com

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Radia543

3 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best

10% popularity

Like others, I don't recommend it. Why? Because people who read resumes do not treat them like a book. Your resume will go into a big pile (or the electronic equivalent) that someone has to go through. They're going to skim each one to give a rough yes or no and then they'll go through the yeses more carefully.

Anything that interferes with this process or makes it harder for the resume screener to interpret is going to increase your chances of being sent to the no pile.

Seriously, you're saving one digit. How is that worth it? Now, you can save a couple digits with date ranges. 2012-14 instead of 2012-2014. That is standard and easy to skim. But avoid the '12 bits. It's something that someone reading carefully will figure out but harder on someone skimming.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

According to this source the correct symbol to abbreviate year using two digits is an apostrophe:

When abbreviating a year, remove the first two numbers and indicate the omission by using an apostrophe:

2009 becomes ’09 (not ‘09)
2010 becomes ’10 (not ‘10)
2525 becomes ’25 (if we're still alive)

Notice I said apostrophe, not single opening quote.

You could use whatever you want on your resume, your choices will make your resume more or less effective, also depending on who will read and how you articulate different solutions for presentation.

Load Full (0)

10% popularity

Why? Is that extra bit of space needed for something?

My advice is to stick with the generally accepted four digit year. While resume styles evolve, this is not the place for you to push the envelope. You want the reader to have no objections to your resume to start getting into their heads.

Load Full (0)