bell notificationshomepageloginNewPostedit profile

Topic : Whether your main character (MC) is similar to or better than a particular reader depends largely on your intent. If your intent is to have the reader identify with the MC, then you should - selfpublishingguru.com

10% popularity

Whether your main character (MC) is similar to or better than a particular reader depends largely on your intent.

If your intent is to have the reader identify with the MC, then you should strive for similar to. However, if you want to motivate the reader, creating a MC that is better than the reader is likely preferable.

In addition, different genres of fiction will answer the question differently (but are still based on intent). For example, in horror, it's typical for the MC to be similar to a reader in order to provoke emotional resonance and heighten the tension.

I also feel the need to tell you that I think you're oversimplifying the issue on several fronts.

Not all readers are going to identify or be motivated by the same things. Your readers aren't homogeneous (at least I hope they aren't), and you shouldn't treat them as such.
Similar to and better than aren't the only options. There's also the possibility that they're worse than a particular reader.
Related to #1 , but slightly different, is that your MC should be more than one-dimensional. You would do well to craft interesting characters with multiple facets to their personalities. If that's the case, what makes the MC similar to one reader will make them better than another reader, and vice versa.

Load Full (0)

Login to follow topic

More posts by @Cofer669

0 Comments

Sorted by latest first Latest Oldest Best